ROCKETFEST DODGEBALL TOURNAMENT
RocketFest DODGEBALL TOURNAMENT RULES
The Team: The game shall be played between two teams of 6 players.
The Court: The playing field shall be the boundary of the volleyball court, divided into two (2) equal sections by a center boundary line. There will be a neutral zone or “NO ATTACK” zone 10 feet in either direction of the center line.
The Equipment: The official ball will be a 10” coated foam ball. Participants must wear shoes, shirts and pants/shorts. Mouth guards and/or safety goggles will be allowed, but not provided.
The Game: The object of the game is to eliminate all opposing players by getting them “OUT”. This may be done by:
1. Hitting an opposing player with a thrown ball.
2. Catching a ball thrown by your opponent before it touches the ground or back wall (includes deflected balls).
3. Causing an opponent to drop a live ball as a result of contact by another thrown live ball. (Usually occurs when a ball is
being used as a shield to block a thrown ball.)
4. An opposing player stepping out of bounds. (To avoid getting hit and not because he or she is retrieving a ball - in which
case you have 5 seconds to retrieve a ball, and come immediately back into the playing field.)
5. If a person deflects a thrown ball with another ball, they cannot get out.
6. If a team has more players and all the balls they will have 10 seconds to throw a ball, or a player will be eliminated.
7. A dead ball is any ball that makes contact with anything, besides initially hitting a player. (Wall, floor, 2nd person, another ball)
Opening Rush: Game begins by placing the dodgeballs along the center line. Players then take a position at their back end line. Following a signal by the official, teams may approach the centerline to retrieve the balls. Sliding IS NOT permitted. You must approach the center line under control. If you cross the line, you are out. This signal officially starts the contest. Each and every ball retrieved at the opening rush must first be taken behind the line of attack before it may be legally thrown at an opponent.
Winning the Game: The first team to legally eliminate all opposing players will be declared the winner. A 7-minute time limit has been established for each game. If neither team has been eliminated at the end of the 7 minutes, the team with the greater number of players remaining will be declared the winner. All balls are dead (even if they are in the air) when the 7 minute horn sounds. In the case of an equal number of players remaining after regulation, a 3-minute sudden-death overtime period will be played. Six on Six, first man out loses.
Rule Enforcement: Players will be expected to use fair play and rule whether or not they were eliminated by a legal hit. All contests will be supervised by at least three court judges. The court judges’ responsibilities will be to rule whether or not hits they observe are legal. THE COURT JUDGES DECISION IS FINAL – NO EXCEPTIONS.
1. During play, all players must remain within the boundary lines.
2. Players must only leave from the back line to retrieve balls and must return to the court by the back lines.
3. Spectators CANNOT pass balls. Balls that are out of bounds must remain out of bounds until retrieved by a player.
4. A player shall not:
a. Have any part of their body contact the playing surface on or over the sideline.
b. Enter or re-enter the field through their sidelines.
c. Leave the playing field to avoid being hit, or attempt to catch a ball.
d. Have any part of their body cross the center line and contact ground on their opponents’ side of the court. This includes the rush at the beginning of the game.
Penalty: Player will be declared out. Note: A player not immediately re-entering the playing area may be declared out.